Rice-Free Sushi (Cauliflower Rice)
- Wild caught lump blue crab meat
- One head of cauliflower
- Nori Seaweed
- One cucumber
- One avocado
- Natural wasabi powder (Sushi Chef brand)
- Coconut aminos
- Rinse cauliflower, and grate with a cheese grater. Discard stems.
- Saute cauliflower in 1/2 a tablespoon coconut or olive oil for 5-7 minutes on medium heat. Let cool
- Thinly slice cucumber and avocado.
- Place a sheet of seaweed onto a cutting board, and cover 2/3 with a thin layer of cauliflower.
- 1/2 inch from the top edge of the seaweed, place a row of cucumber, avocado, and crab meat.
- Carefully roll sushi until you have an inch of seaweed left. Wet the sea weed with water to seal the roll.
- Slice sushi roll into 1 inch slices.
- Mix equal parts natural wasabi powder with water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve sushi with wasabi and coconut aminos for dipping.
Ok not necessarily the most healthy snack, but it’s one of my favorites! I like to use a rice cooker to get that sticky consistency in my rice. Rice wine vinegar and sugar was also added to make the rice more adhesive. The spam was pan fried, season with teriyaki or any sauce. I use toasted seaweed sheets, which can be found in any Asian market.
Assembly! My family makes musubi enough to have a plastic mold. If you do not have the spam can works as a mold too! The seaweed will be the base layer. If using the spam can, cut the seaweed sheet to fit and keep the ends long so you have something to pull on when done. Layer rice, spam, rice, compressing in between. Keeping the mold slightly damp helps prevent sticking. Cut your pieces to the desired shape and enjoy. Try sprinkling furikake seasoning in top!